DeKalb County Animal Services provides many volunteer opportunities! Depending on your interests, abilities and availability, there are many ways you can help. Examples of volunteer opportunities include:
- Assisting potential adopters.
- Transporting animals to events or to rescue shelters.
- Working at offsite adoption events.
- Taking pictures and videos of pets at the shelter.
- General maintenance projects.
- Walking dogs or playing with them in the play yard.
In order to qualify as a volunteer, you:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony; must not have animal ordinance violation convictions.
- Must be willing to contribute a minimum of six hours a month of volunteer time for a minimum of six months.
- Must have an email address and check your email regularly.
- Must attend a volunteer orientation, agree to follow volunteer rules and sign a liability release waiver.
We do not offer court ordered community service hours to volunteers. Please note that our volunteer tasks are scheduled and may begin at different times of day and last different lengths of time, depending on the task.
One very important thing you can do is to "Like" DeKalb County Animal Services on Facebook and share photos of our great pets when they are posted. Ask your Facebook friends toas well! Also, help us spread the word about our community programs and events.